Friday 20 April 2012

Dire (with highlight)

Truly dire this morning - moth trap had 7 moths (4 Common Quaker, 2 Hebrew Character and a Brindled Pug) as well as this:







Any ideas what it might be? (Pogonocherus hispidus - a Longhorn Beetle apparently)


Went for an early walk down to the beach and that wasn't much better! 1 Willow Warbler, 2 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff but there were at least my first 3 Whimbrel of the year. There were two Sandwich Terns this afternoon at the beach.










Then the highlight: The two of us who have a serious go at a Wembury year list (as motivation rather than Biophillia) have an agreement that birds must be seen and heard only does not count for the year list. That makes three species quite tough: Water Rail (heard many times but never seen on the patch), Tawny and Barn Owls. (I'd stop reading now Andy!). This morning, trudging my way back to the car I flushed what seemed to be a Buzzard from the trees on the path - I only caught a glimpse in my peripheral vision but it didn't quite look right though so I ran to where it looked like it had cut through the trees to be greeted by a very briefly perched Tawny Owl in broad daylight!

This afternoon I went to Dartmoor Zoo to be briefed about a Bioblitz in a couple of weeks time. These make anyone look like a good photographer!!



No comments:

Post a Comment